Mercedes Formula 1 driver Lewis Hamilton has the fastest-ever lap around the Red Bull Ring to top opening practice for the Austrian Grand Prix.
The three-time world champion used soft tyres, the hardest of the three compounds available this weekend, to clock a 1m05.975s.
That was just over two tenths faster than the circuit’s previous fastest lap, which Hamilton set in the second part of qualifying last year.
It also put him three tenths clear of Red Bull’s Max Verstappen, who used supersoft tyres to leapfrog Valtteri Bottas late on and deny Mercedes a one-two.
Verstappen had set the session’s first benchmark, a 1m08.429s, and that early effort on softs kept him on top until the Mercedes drivers emerged on ultrasofts 25 minutes into the session.
Bottas won that initial civil war on a 1m06.845s, before Ferrari’sSebastian Vettel joined the fight on the half-hour mark.
Vettel recovered from a spin after hitting the inside kerb at Turn 1 to edge Bottas with a 1m06.826s, but moments later Hamilton lapped three tenths quicker than his Baku aggressor on a 1m06.526s.
After a mid-session lull, Bottas bolted on supersoft tyres to jump to first on a 1m06.345s, before Hamilton set a series of fast laps on soft tyres.
He claimed top spot from Bottas with a 1m06.329s then improved again to his session-best 1m05.975s.
1. Lewis Hamilton GBR Mercedes – Mercedes 1m 05.975s
2. Max Verstappen NED Red Bull – TAG 1m 06.165s
3. Valtteri Bottas FIN Mercedes – Mercedes 1m 06.345s
4. Sebastian Vettel GER Ferrari – Ferrari 1m 06.424s
5. Daniel Ricciardo AUS Red Bull – TAG 1m 06.620s
6. Kimi Raikkonen FIN Ferrari – Ferrari 1m 06.848s
7. Stoffel Vandoorne BEL McLaren-Honda 1m 07.283s
8. Daniil Kvyat RUS Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 07.437s
9. Fernando Alonso ESP McLaren-Honda 1m 07.510s
10. Esteban Ocon FRA Force India-Mercedes 1m 07.511s
11. Felipe Massa BRA Williams – Mercedes 1m 07.550s
12. Carlos Sainz ESP Toro Rosso-Renault 1m 07.594s
13. Kevin Magnussen DEN Haas-Ferrari 1m 07.633s
14. Jolyon Palmer GBR Renault – Renault 1m 07.649s
15. Lance Stroll CAN Williams – Mercedes 1m 08.041s
16. Romain Grosjean FRA Haas-Ferrari 1m 08.074s
17. Sergey Sirotkin RUS Renault – Renault 1m 08.586s
18. Alfonso Celis Jr MEX Force India-Mercedes 1m 09.280s
19. Pascal Wehrlein GER Sauber – Ferrari 1m 09.323s
20. Marcus Ericsson SWE Sauber – Ferrari 1m 10.853s