It’s a back to back wins for Sebasien Buemi as he won the first round of the 2016/2017 Formula E season. The reigning champion recovered from a post-qualifying penalty to take his second win in as many races to extend his lead at the top of the drivers’ championship.
Sebastien Buemi was penalised after qualifying for a fire extinguisher infringement and handed a five-place grid penalty. He started from seventh place, he overtook his team-mate Nico Prost, ABT Scheafflers’ Daniel Abt, NextEV NIO’s Nelson Piquet and DS Virgin Racing’s Sam Bird to move up to third place prior to the pit stop.
There was a drive-through penalty for Techeetah’s Jean-Eric Vergne promoted Sebasiten Buemi to second place, before the Swiss pilot reeled in a passed Mahindra’s Felix Rosenqvist who started the race on pole position.
Meanwhile, DS Virgin Racing’s Sam Bird surprizling made a late pass on Rosenqvist to claim second place ahead of the young Swedish driver, who took his first Formula E podium.
The second Renault eDams, Nico Prost took fourth place ahead of Abt Schaeffler Audi Sport’s Lucas di Grassi – who recovered from a lowly start position of twelfth place – and his team-mate Daniel Abt.
Oliver Turvey took seventh place for NEXTEV Nio, with Jean-Eric Vergne who eventually dropped to eighth place ahead of Nick Heidfeld (Mahindra) and Jose Maria Lopez finshing the top ten.
- Sebastien Buemi – Renualt eDams
- Sam Bird – DS Virgin Racing +2.457
- Felix Rosenqvist – Mahindra Racing +7.195
- Nico Prost – Renualt eDams +11.586
- Lucas Di Grassi – ABT Schaeffler Sport Audi +13.771
- Daniel Abt – ABT Schaeffler Sport Audi +18.233
- Oliver Turvey – NextEV NIO +21.710
- Jean-Eric Vergne – Techeetah +28.01
- Nick Heidfeld Mahindra Racing +33.699
- Jose Maria Lopez DS Virgin Racing +33.863
- Robin Frijns MS Amlin Andretti +37.092
- Stephane Sarrazin Venturi +40.683
- Jerome D’Ambrosio Dragon Racing +42.034
- Adam Carroll Jaguar +49.026
- Ma Qing Hua Techeetah +50.433
- Nelson Piquet Jr. NextEV NIO +1:15.452
- Mitch Evans Jaguar +1 lap
- Loic Duval Dragon Racing +3 laps
- Maro Engel Venturi – DNF
- Antonio Felix da Costa MS Amlin Andretti – DNF