Sebastien Buemi took the victory to start the defence of his championship in perfect fashion. Lucas di Grassi and Nick Heidfeld completed the podium.
Polesitter Nelson Piquet Jr, led the field in the early stages with team mate Oliver Turvey acting as a rear gunner.
The two DS Virgin drivers made minor contact out of the first hairpin, which saw Sebastien Buemi storm past rookie Jose Maria Lopez for fourth.
Further behind at Turn 2, there was carnage ensued as Antonio Felix da Costa ran into the back of Daniel Abt, and Ma Qing Hua going into the back of Nico Prost, with Ma then being hit by Lucas di Grassi. This left Ma with damage on both ends of his car and out of the race.
Jean-Eric Vergne also retired later in the race after pitting on Lap 9 with an issue on his car. He made a bid for fastest lap for a championship point before pulling into the garage.
For the two ABT Schaeffler Sport drivers involved in the Ma collision,Daniel Abt had rear wing damage and his teammate, Lucas di Grassi had front wing damage. Both were shown the black and orange flag and were forced to pit.
Daniel Abt had to change his car. Luckily, Lucas di Grassi was able to get away with just a nose change, but both cars were dropped to the rear of the field.
Nick Heidfeld jumped his rookie team mate Felix Rosenqvist early on, with the two enthralled in a close intra-team battle before Felix Rosenqvist lost the rear at Turn 5 and crashed.
Up front, Sam Bird, Sebastien Buemi and Nick Heidfeld worked their way past Oliver Turvey. Then on Lap 18 Lopez, almost a lap down, ran into the barrier at the Turns 3 and 4 chicane.
Leader Nelson Piquet came through and ran off himself, but managed to escape damage-free, but he lost out to Sam Bird and Sebastien Buemi.
Sam Bird pitted on Lap 25 with just 2% useable energy remaining. The two Jaguar drivers behind him following him into the pit lane, but left a lot earlier than the Briton as he suffered an issue on his car that kept him from leaving the garage.
He came out at the back of the field and a lap down, handing the lead to Sebastien Buemi.
Nick Heidfeld held off Sebastien Prost for fourth with the two Andretti cars following behind. Jerome D’Ambrosio was seventh ahead of Oliver Turvey, with the two Venturis making it into the points; Maro Engel heading Stephane Sarrazin.
Sadly, Nelson Piquet fell out of the points, crossing the line in eleventh ahead of Adam Carroll for Jaguar on their return to single-seater racing.
Sam Bird crossed the line in thirteenth with Loic Duval and Felix Rosenqvist the last of the finishers.
1. Sebastien Buemi SUI Renault e.Dams 45 laps
2. Lucas di Grassi BRZ ABT Schaeffler Audi Sport +2.5s
3. Nick Heidfeld GER Mahindra Racing +5.5s
4. Nicolas Prost FRA Renault e.Dams +7.4s
5. Antonio Felix da Costa POR MS Amlin Andretti +18.0s
6. Robin Frijns NED Andretti SRT01-e +21.2s
7. Jerome d’Ambrosio BEL Faraday Future Dragon Racing +28.4s
8. Oliver Turvey GBR NEXTEV NIO +30.4s
9. Maro Engel GER Venturi VM200-FE-01 +30.9s
10. Stephane Sarrazin FRA Venturi VM200-FE-01 +31.7s
11. Nelson Piquet Jr BRZ NEXTEV NIO +35.3s
12. Adam Carroll GBR Panasonic Jaguar Racing +1 lap
13. Sam Bird GBR DS Virgin DSV-01 +1 lap
14. Loic Duval FRA Faraday Future Dragon Racing +2 laps
15. Felix Rosenqvist SWE Mahindra Racing +3 laps
16. Daniel Abt GER ABT Schaeffler Audi Sport 34 laps completed
17. Jean-Eric Vergne FRA Techeetah Formula E 31 laps completed
18. Mitch Evans NZL Panasonic Jaguar Racing 24 laps completed
19. Jose Maria Lopez ARG DS Virgin DSV-01 15 laps completed
20. Ma Qing Hua CHN Techeetah Formula E 1 lap completed